nanog mailing list archives

Re: phone fun, was GeoIP database issues and the real world consequences

From: Larry Sheldon <larrysheldon () cox net>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2016 15:10:21 -0500

On 4/14/2016 10:45, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 3:32 PM, Leo Bicknell <bicknell () ufp org> wrote:
So maybe 10% of all cell phones are primarly used in the "wrong" area?

Obligatory xkcd ref:  https://xkcd.com/1129/

I am reminded of incidents many years ago when I worked in a Revenue Accounting Office of a Bell System Operating Company. One of my duties involved dealing with the mostly-manually-processed toll calls originating or terminating at a Mobile Telephone System station in our area (whatever the word "area" turns out to mean).

We wrote off a lot of revenue on calls that involved a company (if I remembered the name I still would not repeat it--ditto its location) which turn out to be pretty much one man who like to sell and install mobile radio telephone stations. And, it turns out, not even slightly interested in separations, bill an collecting, an other stuff that dominates an Operating Company's attentions.

--
sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes? (Juvenal)