nanog mailing list archives

Re: Binge On! - And So This is Net Neutrality?

From: joel jaeggli <joelja () bogus com>
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2015 02:41:11 -0800

On 11/20/15 3:35 PM, Steve Mikulasik wrote:
Requiring streaming companies not to use UDP is pretty absurd. Surely
they must be able to identify streaming traffic without needing TCP.

One presumes that they've gotten rather good at looking at HLS or
MPEG-DASH and triggering rate adaption where necessary.

Sent from my Windows Phone ________________________________ From:
Owen DeLong<mailto:owen () delong com> Sent: ‎11/‎20/‎2015 4:32 PM To:
Steve Mikulasik<mailto:Steve.Mikulasik () civeo com> Cc: Ian
Smith<mailto:I.Smith () F5 com>;
nanog () nanog org<mailto:nanog () nanog org> Subject: Re: Binge On! - And
So This is Net Neutrality?

I think they actually might… It’s very hard to identify streams in
UDP since UDP is stateless.

Owen

On Nov 20, 2015, at 09:03 , Steve Mikulasik