nanog mailing list archives

Re: Android (lack of) support for DHCPv6

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike () swm pp se>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2015 08:20:15 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 9 Jun 2015, Jon Bane wrote:

Isn't that the problem of the network operator? To know and accept the tradeoffs for how they operate their network? If this theory that DHCPv6 is going to break the world comes true, then the operators will adjust their methods. Personally, I find operating a dual-stack network far simpler than futzing with XLAT or NAT64. It is a known configuration vs. a complete list of unknown gotchas in translation solutions. Not to mention the added complexity on the client and the network edge.

Ok, so lets see a scenario going forward:

Android starts to support IA_NA and IA_PD. If it only gets a single IA_NA, 464XLAT and tethering (and potentially even more functionality in the future) doesn't work.

How long do you think it'll take before we have a similar discussion here about why Android doesn't support NAT66 to workaround those problems?

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike () swm pp se