nanog mailing list archives

Re: Android (lack of) support for DHCPv6

From: Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2015 23:37:11 -0400

On Tue, Jun 9, 2015 at 11:14 PM, Chris Adams <cma () cmadams net> wrote:
Once upon a time, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu <Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu> said:
On Wed, 10 Jun 2015 12:59:47 +1000, Karl Auer said:
Hope the question doesn't make me look like an idiot, but why does using
stateful DHCPv6 mean having to go back to NAT?

How does the device ask for a *second* DHCPv6'ed address for tethering or
whatever?

It's called "bridging".  Let whatever is being tethered ask directly for
its own address.

it remains to be seen if that would actually work, and it's probably
network-dependent, right? If your notional network implemented SAVI
restrictions then a single dhcpv6 assigned address might be all you
get.

A bunch of this discussion (on both sides) seems (to me) get get back to:
  "I designed something, took a left turn and kept on driving.... and
I just don't want to revisit assumptions."

Example: "I do not want to support SLAAC because I don't want to do
RDNSS, I will provide dns servers/etc via dhcpv6"

Example: "We will not support DHCPv6 because people might assign one
address only."

Both of those have a way to a solution, neither has to be a hard/fast
rule, right?