nanog mailing list archives

Re: NTP versions in production use?

From: Stephen Satchell <list () satchell net>
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2015 21:37:53 -0700

On 07/11/2015 08:17 PM, Harlan Stenn wrote:
Thanks, and I'm kinda stunned that folks are running such ancient
versions of NTP.

https://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Dev/ReleaseTimeline

4.2.0 was EOL'd in June of 2006, and we've fixed about 3,000 issues in
the codebase since then.

I used to do a lot of work with embedded software years ago in my career. What I remember is that when a piece of code was ported to the embedded product, the only time the port was repeated was when there was a revenue-impacting issue. So if there was something in those 3,000 issues that would adversely affect the containing product to the point where it would be reflected in sales, I wouldn't hold your breath.

When the porting process is trivial, then it can be a different story. But remember that there is a Q/A impact on incorporating the new code from upstream, so it's the same deal.

If you would like the vendors to update, you need to make a strong case for doing so.