nanog mailing list archives

RE: Dual stack IPv6 for IPv4 depletion

From: Matthew Huff <mhuff () ox com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2015 15:42:51 +0000

What am I missing? Is it just the splitting on the sextet boundary that is an issue, or do people think people really
need 64k subnets per household?

With /56 you are giving each residential customer:

256 subnets x 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 hosts per subnet.

I would expect at least 95.0% of residential customers are using 1 subnet, and 99.9% are using less than 4. I can
understand people complaining when some ISPs were deciding to only give out a /64, but even with new ideas, new
protocols and new applications, do people really think residential customers will need more than 256 subnets? When such
a magical new system is developed, and people start to want it, can't ISPs start new /48 delegations? Since DHCP-PD and
their infrastructure will already be setup for /56, it may not be easy, but it shouldn't be that difficult.

I know the saying "build it and they will come....", but seriously....

I'd rather ISPs stop discussing deploying IPv6, and start doing it...

Verizon: "The upgrades will start in 2013 and the first phase will include Verizon FiOS customers who have a dynamic IP
address.". I'm still waiting...(at least I have a 6in4 tunnel with he.net).

----
Matthew Huff             | 1 Manhattanville Rd
Director of Operations   | Purchase, NY 10577
OTA Management LLC       | Phone: 914-460-4039