nanog mailing list archives

Re: symmetric vs. asymmetric [was: Verizon Policy Statement on Net Neutrality]

From: Michael Thomas <mike () mtcc com>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2015 09:23:06 -0800

On 02/28/2015 08:59 AM, Mike Hammett wrote:
20 years ago was into AOL's prime, so yes they did.

Great, let's re-evaluate the system when demand necessitates it. For many systems, it's literally as simple as changing
how many channels are allocated to what directions.

By that logic, we would have been running 486s with 32 gigs of RAM because some people today use that much. *shakes
head* Obviously the majority of the dissent here works with OPM.

The point is that the incumbents (= telephants) at the time looked at even the minuscule AOL user base with disdain saying that their market share was irrelevant. Even into the early 2000's these same guys thought that voice was the only thing that really mattered because the new fangled internet users were outliers from their pots bread and butter. We now know those outliers were important. Being dismissive
of them is dangerous.

I think at this point, it's really not too much to ask for PHY's that can deliver decent upstream rates on demand to deal with the bursty nature of upstream traffic from eyeball networks. Nor is it too much to ask for l2/l3 shaping to deal with the internet
equivalent of a synchronized toilet flush.

From the consumer standpoint, I *really* don't think it's too much to ask that when I have the occasional 10 gig image to upload that it takes me << than a full day. This has nothing really to do with symmetry, per se. It's the need to adapt to what the traffic is *actually* doing at peak times, regardless of the average up/down byte count.

Mike