nanog mailing list archives

Re: mpls over microwave

From: "Naslund, Steve" <SNaslund () medline com>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2015 02:38:42 +0000

We run Dragonwave systems and have no issues at all.  MPLS in itself doesn't make a difference since the gear is a
straight Ethernet link.  Just make sure your gear handles your frame sizes and tagging and you should be good.

As long as your radio link is engineered right you should have high reliability.  The key is having enough margin to
maintain links during fades.  So for example our link runs at -34 dbm and our receivers are good down to about -65 dbm
at this rate.  That gives us a roughly 35 dbm margin for degradation before the modems will change modulation a to a
lower speed.  Here in chicago we have seen maybe a total of an hour of weather related fade in a 10 years period on a
20 mile link running 600 Mbps.   They are very popular for low latency since they actually have less latency than
fiber.  The high frequency traders pay big bucks to get on the microwaves between markets because of that trait.
Microwaves through air are faster than photons in a fiber cable.

Steven Naslund
Chicago IL

Sent from my iPhone