nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv4 shutdown in mobile

From: Mark Tinka <mark.tinka () seacom mu>
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2015 20:56:15 +0200

On 26/Dec/15 09:38, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:

I guess there are major differences across the continent as to what
network gear is used, but I know some operators who shipped their 10
year old 2G basestations to African providers, and if these are still
in use, potentially even without a support contract, then these will
never support IPv6 properly. Networks built like this will be laggards
just the same way people running old routers won't have the right
features to support IPv6 properly.

In eastern and southern Africa, there is a reasonable average 3G and
4G/LTE coverage.

One network in southern Africa have upgraded 70% of their network to 4G
as part of an enhancement exercise in the last 16x months, and provide
98% 3G coverage across their country of operation. But not a peep re: IPv6.

In general, in the progressive African countries, one would be
hard-pressed to get anything less than 3G coverage in major business
districts/cities.

Mark.