nanog mailing list archives

Re: Linux: concerns over systemd adoption and Debian's decision to switch

From: Andrew Sullivan <asullivan () dyn com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2014 15:04:51 -0400

On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 01:35:26PM -0400, Daniel Corbe wrote:

Not to get even further off topic here but when was the last time you
maintained a BSD system?   FreeBSD (at least) adopted binary package
management as its preferred interface to ports through pkg-ng somewhere
in the 9-RELEASE cycle.

Yeah, it was some time ago (fortunately, people keep me far away from
systems administration now).  But that doesn't exactly help: since
others drew the same conclusion, _even if BSD is now a perfectly
rational choice_, I've lost functionality I desire.  Docker is a great
example of this.  For many use cases, it's obviously better than the
alternatives.  So now I _can't_ pick FreeBSD.  And so on.

This systemd debacle is an excellent reason to look into stuff that
isn't Linux.  The Linux camp all too often become victims of "not
invented here"

I don't think the latter is restricted to the Linux world!  But as I
suggested, the network security implications of all that stuff hidden
in one critical system sure seem to require some thinking.

--
Andrew Sullivan
Dyn, Inc.