nanog mailing list archives

Re: Why is .gov only for US government agencies?

From: shawn wilson <ag4ve.us () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2014 05:58:01 -0400

On Oct 19, 2014 9:53 AM, "Mike." <the.lists () mgm51 com> wrote:

I'd rather see .gov (and by implication, .edu) usage phased out and
replaced by country-specific domain names (e.g. fed.us).

imo, the better way to fix an anachronism is not to bend the rules so
the offenders are not so offensive, but to bring the offenders into
compliance with the current rules.

Bad idea. I'm betting we'd find half of gov web sites down due to not being
able to reboot and issues in old coldfusion and IIS and the like (and
needing to fix static links and testing etc). No, if it ain't broke don't
fix it.