nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 Default Allocation - What size allocation for Loopback Address

From: Randy Carpenter <rcarpen () network1 net>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2014 12:54:58 -0400 (EDT)

----- On Oct 12, 2014, at 8:53 AM, Sander Steffann sander () steffann nl wrote:

Hi,

Op 11 okt. 2014, om 23:00 heeft Roland Dobbins <rdobbins () arbor net> het volgende
geschreven:

On Oct 11, 2014, at 2:09 PM, Tim Raphael <raphael.timothy () gmail com> wrote:

From my research, various authorities have recommended that a single /64 be
allocated to router loopbacks with /128s assigned on interfaces.

Yes, this is what I advocate for loopbacks.

I often use the first /64 for loopbacks. Loopbacks are often used for
management, iBGP etc and having short and easy to read addresses can be
helpful. Something like 2001:db8::1 is easier to remember and type correctly
than e.g. 2001:db8:18ba:ff42::1 :)

Cheers,
Sander

I concur. I think think some have gotten confused with the suggesting of allocating a /64 for *ALL* loopbacks versus
allocating a full /64 per loopback. Loopbacks should be /128, but all loopbacks for a site should be within a single
/64 (the first one for reasons others, including Sander have said.

-Randy