nanog mailing list archives

Re: wifi blocking [was Re: Marriott wifi blocking]

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2014 15:39:10 -0700

On Oct 7, 2014, at 6:10 PM, Jimmy Hess <mysidia () gmail com> wrote:

On Tue, Oct 7, 2014 at 7:43 PM, Keenan Tims <ktims () stargate ca> wrote:
I don't think it changes much. Passive methods (ie. Faraday cage) would
likely be fine, as would layer 8 through 10 methods.

Well... actually...  passive methods are probably fine, as long as
they are not breaking reception to nearby properties, BUT it might
result in some proceedings or investigations regarding anticompetitive
behaviors  ---  also, if there are other businesses nearby,  it  could
lead  to some objections when you go seeking permits to build this
giant faraday cage.    The local authorities might eventually require
some modifications.  :)

Actually, if you turn your building into a faraday cage, I’m not sure there’s
any legal basis on which to tell you that you have to permit RF through,
even if it blocks the signal downstream.

Creating a shadow is very different from actively emitting “harmful interference”
and I don’t know of any laws or regulations which could be used to prevent you
from doing so.

Owen