nanog mailing list archives

Re: Transparent hijacking of SMTP submission...

From: Larry Sheldon <larrysheldon () cox net>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2014 14:24:55 -0600

On 11/29/2014 14:09, John Levine wrote:
In article <CAL9jLaY1q_RBkyB6kczKZUiFR5b1r3kuVz8WivWR0Rjj_oaGTg () mail gmail com> you write:
backing up a bit in the conversation, perhaps this is just in some
regions of comcastlandia? I don't see this in Northern Virginia...

I don't see it in New Jersey, either.

Is this a direct connection, or a coffee shop sharing a cable connection or
something like that?

I am a little confused but have note yet had time and interest at the same time to back through the thread....

I thought when it started that the complaint was somebody using a public wiffy had been victimized by something I read about recently (and thought it was here that I had red it) where somebody sets up a fraudulent server on the wiffy that advertises a false-flag email "server" that strips out the security stuff and then sends the traffic to an accomplice-site that eventually gets the stripped traffic to its original destination.

--
The unique Characteristics of System Administrators:

The fact that they are infallible; and,

The fact that they learn from their mistakes.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes