nanog mailing list archives

Re: Transparent hijacking of SMTP submission...

From: "John Levine" <johnl () iecc com>
Date: 29 Nov 2014 20:17:45 -0000

i think of it as an intentional traffic hijack.  i would be talking to a
lawyer.

If the lawyer says anything other than that 47 USC 230(c)(2)(A)
provides broad immunity for ISP content filtering, even if the filters
sometimes screw up, you need a new lawyer.

Filtering STARTTLS on port 587 is pretty stupid, but not everything
that's stupid is illegal.

R's,
John

PS: I know enough technical people at Comcast that I would be
extremely surprised if it were Comcast doing this.  There's plenty not
to like about the corporation, but the technical staff are quite
competent.