nanog mailing list archives

Re: Shared Transition Space VS. BGP Next Hop [was: Re: Best practices IPv4/IPv6 BGP (dual stack)]

From: Rob Seastrom <rs () seastrom com>
Date: Mon, 05 May 2014 15:42:04 -0400

Randy Bush <randy () psg com> writes:

Ah, so you're in the camp that a /10 given to one organization for
their private use would have been better than reserving that /10 for
_everyone_ to use. We'll have to agree to disagree there.

you forced an rfc allocation.  that makes public space, and is and will
be used as such.  you wanted an 'owned' allocation that you and your
friends control, you shoulda gone to the rirs.

Usually I manage to keep the Strangelove hand in check and not feed
the troll, but the matter was raised (at least in the ARIN region).

https://www.arin.net/policy/proposals/2011_5.html

I believe that the arguments that shared transition space were IETF's
purview were compelling.  I'm no fan of non-globally-unique space in
general, but forcing the RFC route was the least-worst route for
things to move forward.

Randy, I trust that you're also vigorously advocating people's use of
UK-MOD-19850128 (aka net 25) as "just more 1918 space" inside their
organizations too?  After all, it's what I encourage *my* competitors to do.

-r