nanog mailing list archives

Re: misunderstanding scale

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 23:13:00 -0400

On Tue, 25 Mar 2014 02:47:31 -0000, "Naslund, Steve" said:

Lots and lots of enterprises count on a hard perimeter and almost nothing
behind it so once I am in behind your NAT, you are unlikely to notice it until
something real bad happens.  That is the state of most enterprise network
security today.

"All of ARPA's protection has, by design, left the internal AT&T machines
untested--a sort of crunchy shell around a soft, chewy center. We run security
scans..."

ches Fri Apr 20 07:46:11 EDT 1990

http://www.cheswick.com/ches/papers/gateway.pdf

For the Beloit College class of 2014, the Internet has always had a soft
chewy center....