nanog mailing list archives

Re: misunderstanding scale

From: Mark Tinka <mark.tinka () seacom mu>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 18:35:18 +0200

On Monday, March 24, 2014 02:56:13 PM Timothy Morizot wrote:

NAT traversal is and has long been fairly trivial. NAT
and RFC1918 provides no meaningful host protection
whatsoever and never has. The only thing that limits
direct access to internal networks is a stateful
firewall. (Well, IPS can also drop packets.) That's true
for IPv4 and for IPv6. So an enterprise relying n NAT44
and RFC1918 for internal host protection instead of a
stateful firewall already has no meaningful security in
place.

Don't disagree with you there.

I'm saying many an enterprise (small and large) as well as
homes operate this way. There is a lot of unlearning to do.

The whole issue is that a number of enterprises "may" only
feel safe if IPv6 comes with NAT66, probably on top (or not
on top) of a stateful IPv6 firewall.

We need to think about how to re-train the enterprise, if we
don't want to repeat the erasure of the end-to-end model,
second time around.

Mark.