nanog mailing list archives

Re: misunderstanding scale (was: Ipv4 end, its fake.)

From: Mark Tinka <mark.tinka () seacom mu>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2014 06:36:31 +0200

On Saturday, March 22, 2014 09:57:04 PM John Levine wrote:

We've just barely started to move from the era of free
IPv4 to the one where you have to buy it, and from
everyhing I see, there is vast amounts of space that
will be available once people realize they can get real
money for it.  The prices cited a couple of messages
back seem to be in the ballpark.  It will be a long time
before the price of v4 rises high enough to make it
worth the risk of going v6 only.

New ISP's are born everyday.

Some of them will be able to have a "Buy an ISP that has
IPv4" or "Buy IPv4 space from known brokers" line item in
their budget as part of their launch plans.

Most won't.

Mark.