nanog mailing list archives

Re: MACsec SFP

From: Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2014 13:32:04 -0400

On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 1:19 PM, Saku Ytti <saku () ytti fi> wrote:
On (2014-06-24 12:30 -0400), Christopher Morrow wrote:

it's going to be hard to schedule a key roll then, right? I would
expect that in most/many deployments where someone enters a 'key'
there has to be some compliance process that includes: "And you change
that key every X days" right? So you'll NOT want to be in a situation
that involves coordinating a few thousand truck rolls every X months
to have this deployed.

Hopefully you could offer date when new keys take effect.

sure, 'use new key in 37.243 minutes!' I still have to coordinate
people showing up at all sites over N period of time to do this
programming, and I'm SURE that some set of the programmed devices will
get an l instead of a 1 ... so 'quick chuck, get in the truck!' is
going to be an oft-heard refrain ;(

Hand managing this just isn't feasible, I think.

Maybe some customer would then enter need for this in CLI in their multimillion
dollar RFQ, and then we'd get the feature.

maybe so... multi-million of sfp is a lot of sfp though.

Of course this would be for the equipment where SFP sits, SFP vendor can't
solve this. But if you're making it mandatory in router RFQ, it seems pretty
much guaranteed vendors would comply and winning bid at least would implement
it.

yes, I realized as I clicked 'send'... in any case :) the sfp
manufacturer likely has to decide on some way to program the sfp
(maybe there are already in-router/switch ways for other things like
this? like wavelength...) which all router/switch vendors have to also
agree to abide by.