nanog mailing list archives

Re: Ars Technica on IPv4 exhaustion

From: TJ <trejrco () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 14:49:28 -0400

On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 2:25 PM, Lee Howard <Lee () asgard org> wrote:

Verizon Wireless and T-Mobile have great IPv6 deployments, too, maybe a
couple more years for older handsets to age out.  Still, >50% of VzW LTE
devices use IPv6 now.

ISTR that every VZW LTE device is IPv6 ready/capable/connected, and that it
is ~%50 of the _traffic_ that is IPv6 today.

Everything I have at the colo is dual stacked, but I can't reach my own
systems via IPv6 because my business class Verizon Fios connection is
IPv4 *only*.

Well there's your problem.

Yeah, Verizon and VZW are not the same animal ... FiOS *needs* to get their
IPv6 house in order.
Anyone have any information on that front ...?

Yes, Comcast is in the process of rolling out IPv6, but my
Comcast circuit in Washington DC is IPv4 only.  And I'd suspect that
everyone with Time Warner, AT&T, Cox, etc are all in the same boat.

I think all of those companies offer IPv6 on their business-only services
(e.g., fiber, ethernet, etc.). For access methods shared with residential
users (i.e., DOCSIS, DSL), it's not rolled out yet. . . RSN.

I believe Comcast has completed something like 90%+ of their IPv6 rollout,
nationwide.  Maybe more ...
*(My residential circuit and business circuit, in different parts of
Northern VA, are both native IPv6 out of the box.)*

/TJ