nanog mailing list archives

Re: Carrier Grade NAT

From: Chris Boyd <cboyd () gizmopartners com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2014 17:08:43 -0500

On Jul 29, 2014, at 11:54 AM, <Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu> <Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu> wrote:

On Tue, 29 Jul 2014 11:42:31 -0500, Chris Boyd said:

There's probably going to be some interesting legal fallout from that
practice.  As an ISP customer, I'd be furious to find out that my
communications had been intercepted due to the bad behavior of another user.

See the various lawsuits against the NSA - the vast majority have been summarily
dismissed because the plaintiffs couldn't produce evidence their communications
had in fact been intercepted, and thus they didn't have standing to sue.

True, but there is a difference in this case, since I could probably find a way to do discovery of the warrant/subpoena
that was delivered to the ISP--assuming it's not an NSL.  I would assume that going into court with evidence of the
warrant/subpoena would be sufficient to grant standing.  Or the notice of intercepted communications that I've seen a
few times would work too.

In $DAYJOB, we're all colo/cloud, so the stuff we get specifies a specific date.  Have not come across any that specify
a few seconds of time as another poster noted.

In any case IANAL, so who knows until the cases start showing up on the dockets.....

--Chris