nanog mailing list archives

Re: Muni Fiber and Politics

From: Scott Helms <khelms () zcorum com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 08:30:59 -0400

That's not an excuse, its simply the political reality here in the US.
 There is a narrow place band on the size scale for a municipality where
its politically acceptable in most places AND there is a true gap in
coverage.  In nearly all of the larger areas, though there are some
exceptions, there is very little reason for a muni to go through the pain,
and it is most certainly painful, any time a city considers any kinds of
moves in this direction a certain percentage of the voters there will have
the same position that Bill Herrin has written from.  It takes a real need
to exist in the minds of enough voters to get past that and get to a place
where spending money is politically feasible.  I would add that this is
much harder in some parts of the country than in others and this is one of
the reasons that you see muni's building layer 3 networks rather than going
for a more open approach.  The people involved in the bond arrangements
almost invariably see having the city the layer 3 provider as more reliable
path to getting repaid than an open system.