nanog mailing list archives

Re: Muni Fiber and Politics

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 21:36:12 -0400 (EDT)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Keenan Tims" <ktims () stargate ca>

If we assume that a residential deployment pulls one strand (or perhaps
a pair) to each prem, similar to current practice for POTS, there's a
resource allocation problem if I want to buy TV services from provider
A and Internet services from provider B (or maybe I want to provision a
private WAN to my place of work). This could be done with WDM equipment
by the muni in the L1 model, or at L2, but it isn't something that's
often mentioned. I suspect L2 wins here, at least on cost.

Or are we going forward under the assumption that all of this will be
rolled into "the Internets" and delivery that way and competition in
that space will be sufficient?

I was planning AE, and to deploy 3 pair per drop, except on multiunit
building, where my overbuild ratio would be between 1.6 and 1.2 or so.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com