nanog mailing list archives

Re: Verizon Public Policy on Netflix

From: Rubens Kuhl <rubensk () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2014 23:38:42 -0300

On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 5:01 PM, Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com> wrote:

Here's a link to a post from VZN's public policy blog, about Netflix.

Now, just as a matter of principle, I tend to assume that anything VZN
says in public is a self-serving lie based on a poor understanding of the
Real World... but I did in fact read it.

Yup.

The money quote:

   One might wonder why Netflix and its transit providers were the only
ones
   that ran into congestion issues. What it boils down to is this: these
other
   transit and content providers took steps to ensure that there was
adequate
   capacity for their traffic to enter our network.

Translation: if Netflix is paying Comcast, why not pay us(Verizon) ?

Rubens