nanog mailing list archives

Re: turning on comcast v6

From: Doug Barton <dougb () dougbarton us>
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2014 10:37:39 -0800

On 01/04/2014 05:42 AM, Baldur Norddahl wrote:
On Sat, Jan 4, 2014 at 2:12 AM, Doug Barton <dougb () dougbarton us> wrote:

If you did add default route to DHCPv6, what is then supposed to happen to
the other routes, that the client might discover?

You would configure the client not to do RS, and to ignore any RAs that it
receives. Simple.

If you are going to modify the client, you can use any method you like,

No, I can't, because the method I would like to use is not in the spec.

including having the client simply use fe80:: or prefix:: as default
gateway.

You want a secure way to configure the clients. That sounds more like
Secure NDP (SEND) than it sounds like DHCPv6 with default gateway.

Thank you for the textbook illustration of the "anything but DHCP!" mindset I was referring to earlier.

Doug