nanog mailing list archives

Re: Google public DNS - getting SERVFAIL for any domains delegated to GoDaddy NSs

From: Jim Popovitch <jimpop () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2014 14:24:33 -0500

On Sun, Dec 7, 2014 at 12:01 PM, Erik Levinson
<erik.levinson () uberflip com> wrote:
All,

Could someone from Google public DNS and from GoDaddy contact me off-list?

I'm getting SERVFAIL when trying to resolve any record in any domain whose
NSs are
pdns01.domaincontrol.com/pdns02.domaincontrol.com/pdns05.domaincontrol.com/pdns06.domaincontrol.com
(GoDaddy premium DNS), only when using Google's 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4 resolvers,
from multiple locations/networks.

Resolution is normal using various other public and non-public resolvers, as
well as by querying the authoritative name servers directly.

You can look at targetly.co as one example (should be just an A record to
184.168.221.38 but getting SERVFAIL when querying 8.8.8.8).

FWIW, in the past GoDaddy has periodically blocked queries from Google
Public DNS infrastructure.   Heavily discussed and documented here:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/public-dns-discuss/godaddy

-Jim P.