nanog mailing list archives

Re: Network configuration archiving

From: Saku Ytti <saku () ytti fi>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2013 23:02:15 +0300

On (2013-10-25 14:27 -0400), Phil Bedard wrote:

The vendor config->abstract data (really structured data) is the point of
YANG definitions.  I think I'm correct but Tail-F's system works by

interpreter based on those definitions.  The trick is getting the
standards bodies and vendors to support common definitions for common
protocols like they sorta have with SNMP.  So when I need to put a route

The idea is great, but I don't feel it's actually practical. Since already MIB
standards lag features and getting MIB into vendor code lags further.
So if you would only limit yourself deploying stuff that all your vendors
support via common standard model like YANG, you'd be in clear competitive
disadvantage in launching products.

If you can avoid doing VendorConfig -> Abstract (Or structured as you say)
Data. Things get just so much simpler.

--
  ++ytti