nanog mailing list archives

Re: Should host/domain names travel over the internet with a trailing dot?

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 13:12:53 -0500

On Mon, 25 Feb 2013 19:07:20 -0600, Jimmy Hess said:

If  the domain in a certificate were not interpreted as a FQDN by the
client,   this would mean,  that the certificate for
CN=bigbank.example.com
might be used to authenticate a connection to  https://bigbank.example.com
which do the local resolver search order, is in fact a DNS lookup of
bigbank.example.com.intranet.example.com

Which might be captured by a Wildcard A record for  *.com  found in
the   intranet.example.com.   zone  and pointed to a server
containing a phishing attack against bigbank.example.com;   with  a
DNS cache poisoned by  a false negative cache NXDOMAIN entry   for
bigbank.example.com.

I am *sooo* tempted to say "I recommend my competitors do DNS lookups this way"

:)