nanog mailing list archives

Re: 10 Mbit/s problem in your network

From: fredrik danerklint <fredan-nanog () fredan se>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2013 17:33:04 +0100

Not to be pedantic, but The Last Mile Cache will actually help you to
solve this problem, with a local cache server at the hotel.

The hotel's ISP must participate in TLMC before they, the hotel, can
have a cache server running.

And as a business traveller I want to have the ISP or Hotel cache (aka
be able to read and for others to be found!) my possibly very
sensitive corporate documents exactly _why_ ?

Since when have you started to publish your sensitive corporate documents on public sites, cause that's what's needed for TLMC to
cache your documents in the first place.

Look,

If a CSP (Content Service Provider - where you host your documents)
does not want to have it's content cached, they don't need too. The
cache server(s) at the ISP:s around the world will then _not_ be able
to cache it.

The traffic will in this case, will be loaded directly from the CSP.

The TLMC concept only
has possible applications in certain residential settings.

No. It will help the ISP:s to distribute their loads in their network.

And even
then it's very debatable as to how it could actually improve instead
of overcomplicate and deteriorate the entire service along the route.

How about those who have limited bandwidth to the Internet? Like
ferries, trains, buses or satellite links...

--
//fredan

http://tlmc.fredan.se