nanog mailing list archives

Re: AT&T UVERSE Native IPv6, a HOWTO

From: "Ricky Beam" <jfbeam () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2013 18:45:28 -0500

On Mon, 02 Dec 2013 17:54:50 -0500, Owen DeLong <owen () delong com> wrote:
I don't know why you think that the PC and Laptop can't talk to each other. It actually seems to work just fine. They both default to the upstream router and the router has more specifics to each of the two LAN segments.

You are confusing ROUTING with the WINDOWS FIREWALL (on by default)

Wired pinging Wireless will be dropped by the OS as foreign, unsolicited traffic. (I see it often enough: A cannot talk to B because they're in different networks.)

Micr0$0ft doesn't have to make any assumptions at all. In the IPv6 world, they can use site-scoped multicast (ffx5::).

People don't even know what link-local addresses are (and they don't cross links.) Site-local (ULA) requires administrative configuration; no machine, by default, will have a ULA address until manually configured (i.e. they see an RA.)

Frankly, if you're paying for IPv6 space, you're not too bright. You can go get a direct assignment from an RIR so easily for $100/year that it just doesn't make sense to pay more than that.

If you can justify it. A home user... good luck with that (a: getting the space, and then b: getting Uverse, etc. to use it.) For a business, I always say get your own space, unless you like re-numbering every time you change providers. (we've done it 5 times in 10 years. 'tho none of them have ever supported IPv6; shame on them.) [while "renumbering" the network may be simple, changing the prefix(es) that have been recorded in various systems is still a pain.]