nanog mailing list archives

Re: ddos attacks

From: "Dobbins, Roland" <rdobbins () arbor net>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 21:06:26 +0000

On Dec 19, 2013, at 10:40 PM, Nick Hilliard <nick () foobar org> wrote:

hmm, re-reading it, your post was contextually ambiguous and I read it in a different way to the way that apparently
you meant.

It was quite clear what was meant, even without looking at the linked presentation, which clarified matters even
further.

but yes, if you're doing onsite ddos scrubbing, you needs lotsabandwidth.

Once again, nothing in my post said or referred to bandwidth; in fact, simply throwing bandwidth at the problem won't
work, as attackers have access to what are for all practical purposes near-infinite resources.

In future, it might be a good idea to ensure that the points one attempts to make actually apply to the specific post
to which one is replying.

Roland Dobbins <rdobbins () arbor net> // <http://www.arbornetworks.com>

          Luck is the residue of opportunity and design.

                       -- John Milton