nanog mailing list archives

RE: subrate SFP?

From: Jamie Bowden <jamie () photon com>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 11:42:04 +0000

From: Saku Ytti [mailto:saku () ytti fi]

I got quite a bit of replies from sellers selling me cuSFP, insisting they
work.

So I'd like to clear up on this. For 10/100 to work on SFP slot, the PHY in
the host needs to be multirate. Exception is SGMII which supposedly
supports magic mode where SFP can ask it to send same bit 10 times, then
SFP can discard 9/10 bits, to remain very dumb yet deliver 100M client on
1GE host.

RGMII does not support this trick and this trick does not bring you down to
10M. One box that we have right now, which can't do any of this is ME-4924.

There is absolutely no reason that you couldn't deliver 'media converter'
or '2 port switch' in a SFP casing, to get that 1 10/100 port in every
4500-X or EX4550 port you need to cater some legacy. If my desire is odd (2
people have expressed off list they want same) this won't be built. But if
this is somewhat common demand and missing product, we can certainly get
such SFP built.

Obviously this SFP would cost bit more than normal cuSFP, as it needs to do
rudimentary buffering, packet dropping and it needs to have frame parser.

Considering that Dell and HP at least are shipping brand new hardware with IPMI/BMC/iLO/whatever management ports that
can only speak 100mbit when every other Ethernet interface in the box at least gigabit, having a useful way to talk to
that port without having to keep separate switching hardware around would be nice.  I'm not holding my breath, but you
know, along with a pony, this would be nice.

Jamie