nanog mailing list archives

Re: "It's the end of the world as we know it" -- REM

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 13:41:04 -0400

Bing supports IPv6: http://www.worldipv6launch.org/

Noted.

The site www.xbox.com supports IPv6 (ditto), but the Xbox device does not.

Noted.

My favorite place to see what content supports IPv6 is Eric Vyncke's site:
http://www.vyncke.org/ipv6status/detailed.php?country=us

An excellent resource.

Thus, Microsoft points off for live.com, msn.com,
microsoft.com, etc.

Similarly, partial credit to Amazon for ELB on AWS [1], but points off for
amazon.com, ebay.com, and for pity's sake, aws.amazon.com and
amazonaws.com.

[1]
http://aws.amazon.com/about-aws/whats-new/2011/05/24/elb-ipv6-zoneapex-secu
ritygroups/

But to see the rest, you have come to NANOG58 in New Orleans!

Thanks for providing those links, Lee. Definitely worth watching.

Actually, if Amazon.com lit up IPv6, it would dramatically change the
IPv6-only
client landscape. I believe they are the single largest IPv4-only content
provider
remaining. IIRC from Lee's statistics, Amazon + any 2 other members of the
Alexa 100 would make it possible for 70% or more of web traffic to go over
IPv6.

Not mine; Alain Fiocco's numbers  at http://6lab.cisco.com/stats/
It's not quite that positive, either, but you can see in the Information
page of that site that there's a very sharp bend in which sites get the
most hits.  The top 15-20 are disproportionate; after that, in many cases
substitute web sites are available.

Thanks… Thanks for the reference as well.

I've been doing just that. Interestingly, I got a great deal of criticism
for doing
so recently.

Where do you name and shame suits?  Hint: it isn't NANOG.

In the case to which I refer, it was Facebook.

Lee, who has been known to wear a suit

And who I occasionally attempt to shame for the slow pace of IPv6 deployment at TW Cable. ;-)

Owen