nanog mailing list archives

Re: Verizon DSL moving to CGN

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2013 22:38:42 -0700

On Apr 7, 2013, at 18:21 , Rajiv Asati (rajiva) <rajiva () cisco com> wrote:

Dual-stack in the home networks will stay with us for a long time (beyond 2020!) until v4-only user devices and
v4-only apps get refreshed.

I disagree. I think that v4-only apps and devices will get relegated to being connected through v4-v6 adapter
appliances until they are fixed.

IPv4 is simply going to become far too expensive to maintain to be able to deliver it for residential pricing.

Of course, this doesn't mean that the ISP access needs to stay dual-stack, thanks to MAP, 464XLAT etc.

Right... Those are some of the ways that maintaining IPv4 will become so expensive. ;-)

Owen