nanog mailing list archives

Re: RPKI Pilot Participant Notice

From: Danny McPherson <danny () tcb net>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2012 17:23:55 -0400

On Sep 5, 2012, at 3:32 PM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:

My interpretation was what Randy implied, and that ARIN
wants an agreement with everyone who gets a (presumably
unique to the agreement) TAL to protect ARIN.  That would
seem like a lot of overhead to maintain to me (since as I recall
a TAL may never, ever (ok, very rarely) change), but then
appropriate risk management has always been an interesting
thing to watch in the (potentially litigious) ARIN region.

I'll let Randy speak for Randy (only he could do such a fine job).

I do agree with Chris (and many others) that this whole thing falls apart pretty quickly without a single root (e.g.,
think of the browser CA problem) -- for many reasons.

I'd wager what ARIN is going to do in said "Relying Party Agreement" is tell RPs (i.e., *relying* parties) that they
ought not rely to much on the data for routing, and if they do and something gets hosed, ARIN's not at fault -- but
I'll wait to read the actual agreement before speculating more.

-danny