nanog mailing list archives

Re: Big Temporary Networks

From: Masataka Ohta <mohta () necom830 hpcl titech ac jp>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2012 19:37:51 +0900

Mans Nilsson wrote:

Do not NAT. When all those people want to do social networking to the same
furry BBS while also frequenting three social app sites simultaneously
you are going to get Issues if you NAT. So don't.

I am not suggesting that. I'm just trying to point out that there
might be a bunch of assumptions that aren't as true anymore when a
lot of client connections share both source and destination address,
and perhaps also destination port. If this happens simultaneously when
a large amount of other tcp connections are NATed through the same box,
resource starvation will occur.

Then, an advise better than yours is Chris's:

: with small budgets.

: You'll need a beefy NAT box.  Linux with Xeon CPU and 4GB RAM
: minimum.   Run your DNS resolver and DHCP here, unless you have
: hardware to spare.

: Bandwidth.  Lots of Bandwidth.

posted before yours.

If public address space is available,
it is better to use that.

It depends on budgets and other factors.

Also, no NAT means there will be no session
timers for things like long lived low bandwidth tcp sessions.

Assuming no NAT firewalls without very large connection tables,
not necessarily.

                                                Masataka Ohta