nanog mailing list archives

Re: The End-To-End Internet (was Re: Blocking MX query)

From: Masataka Ohta <mohta () necom830 hpcl titech ac jp>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2012 15:30:24 +0900

Andrew Sullivan wrote:

the DNS and won't discover anything about the DNS that can't be had
via getaddrinfo() until long after its too late redefine the protocol
in terms of seeking SRV records.

Oh, sure, I get that.  One of the problems I've had with the "end to
end NAT" argument is exactly that I can't see how it's any more
deployable than IPv6, for exactly this reason.

The easiest part of the deployment is to modify end systems.

Because of the 20-year problem, I think now
would be an excellent time to start thinking about how to make usable
all those nice features we already have in the DNS.

Apple did it. See RFC6281.

                                                Masataka Ohta