nanog mailing list archives

Re: William was raided for running a Tor exit node. Please help if you can.

From: Rayson Ho <raysonlogin () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 17:02:46 -0500

On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 4:46 PM, Jimmy Hess <mysidia () gmail com> wrote:
If they had a qualified technician,  they probably wouldn't be raiding
a TOR exit node in the first place;   they would have investigated the
matter  more thoroughly, and saved precious time.

And what if the TOR exit node was in the cloud? Are they going to
confiscate millions of servers just because a few of them were hosting
child pornography??

(I am a believer of Cloud Computing, and in fact earlier this month we
had a 10,000-node Grid Engine HPC cluster running in Amazon EC2:
http://blogs.scalablelogic.com/2012/11/running-10000-node-grid-engine-cluster.html
)

I believe most Cloud providers (Google, Amazon, IBM, etc) have some
sort of disclaimer clause... but then one can get a VPN account easily
too (there are many free ones as well)! So how could VPN, local coffee
shops, and cloud providers protect themselves from this kind of
non-sense??

Rayson

http://gridscheduler.sourceforge.net/

--