nanog mailing list archives

Re: "Programmers can't get IPv6 thus that is why they do not have IPv6 in their applications"....

From: Mark Andrews <marka () isc org>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 17:08:42 +1100

In message <69ADB141-D40B-4DFB-8FBC-D0863897B78C () delong com>, Owen DeLong write
s:

On Nov 27, 2012, at 19:18 , "Dave Edelman" <dedelman () iname com> wrote:

I think that we are missing a significant part of this conversation.=20=

=20
Even if programmers never write a line of code that invokes IPv6, they =
need
to accommodate the effects of all the other programmers who aren't =
writing a
line of IPv6 code. CGN renders most application logs useless unless =
they
record source port as well as address. For many industries, logging of
transactions in a manner that allows you to track back to the =
originator of
the transaction is not optional. And yes that does translate to track =
back
to the ISP who (when presented with the appropriate piece of paper) =
can
convert the timestamp /IP address/ port combination to the customer =
who is
responsible for the account.
=20

That won't help. Think about it this way. A session state log entry is =
roughly 512 bytes.

I'm told (by several of the large residential providers) that the =
average session rate per
subscriber is around 33,000 connections/subscriber/day for roughly =
17Kbytes/day of
log entries per day.

Take a carrier like Comcast that has ~20,000,000 subscribers. That's =
660,000,000,000
or 660 Terabytes per day of log files. Now, imagine trying to keep that =
data set for
7 years worth of data. That's a 660*365*7 =3D 1,686,300 Terabyte (or 1.7 =
Exabyte)
storage array. I'm sure EMC would love to build something like that, =
but, I'm willing
to bet that any economic analysis of that problem against CALEA reveals =
the
relatively swift conclusion that the fines cost less than the =
infrastructure to preserve
the logs.

The fine will be first then the court order to move all the customers
to IPv6.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka () isc org