nanog mailing list archives

Re: Current IPv6 state of US Mobile Phone Carriers

From: Cameron Byrne <cb.list6 () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 16:21:44 -0700

On May 22, 2012 4:00 PM, "Paul Porter" <paul.porter () gree co jp> wrote:

Hi NANOG,

I'm looking for some information on the four largest US mobile phone
carriers and the current state of their IPv6 infrastructure. Specifically,
we are trying to figure out:

1.  How much of the carrier core and edge for AT&T, Verizon. T-Mobile, and
Sprint are on IPv6 now?

Hi,

T-Mobile USA has native ipv6 to all subscribers in all of it's coverage
area. But, less than 1% of subscribers use IPv6 because they do not have an
IPv6 capable phone. The Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus work well.

This device challenge will improve in time.  Samsung is doing a good job of
bringing IPv6 to Android devices. More info here
https://sites.google.com/site/tmoipv6/lg-mytouch

2.  If, and how, are they handling NAT64 for native IPv6 edge devices?

Yes, NAT64 / DNS64 is used in the case of reaching ipv4-only nodes.  If you
are concerned about middleboxs, you should deploy IPv6.

3. What is the percentage of breakdown for users on native IPv6? Dual
stacked?

Small today. As IPv6 becomes the default setting, that will change.

CB

GREE is a mobile social gaming company and we're trying to better
understand what lies between our customer's smart phones and our servers.
My next step will be to reach out to the carriers themselves, but I
figured
many of their Network Engineers are probably on the NANOG mailing list and
this would be a great place to start.

Thanks in advance for your time and assistance.

Sincerely,

- Paul Porter

--
*Paul G. Porter