nanog mailing list archives

Re: uunet ends newsfeed/newsreader in US

From: Miles Fidelman <mfidelman () meetinghouse net>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 18:06:05 -0400

John Levine wrote:
                             I thought it should have died when pr0n and
w4rez took it over (in the late 90's)..
Many of the tech groups remain quite healthy.  I still moderate
comp.compilers which gets about 100 posts/month.

Actually, it's fine with us that the ignorant masses think that usenet
is dead, since it tends to keep out the riffraff.

And NNTP is still one of the most brilliant protocols ever written. Replicated information, no central control, ad hoc group creation. It's really a shame that the Netscape Collaboration Server was never open sourced (easy newsgroup management, a layer of user management) - facebook or googlegroups without the centralized control.

Miles Fidelman