nanog mailing list archives

Re: job screening question

From: Jon Lewis <jlewis () lewis org>
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2012 00:00:32 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 6 Jul 2012, George Herbert wrote:

If people don't bother to clean up the resume, either they don't
understand what's relevant now, or they don't care, or they're trying
to hide something.

Or they want to show they've been doing it long enough that they have experience working with older gear younger people may not have even heard of. I have experience with Portmasters, Pipelines, and home built Linux multiport dialup PPP servers. None are relevant today. IMO, at least the latter demonstrates some skills. Rolling your own 80-port dialup server in 1995 wasn't just "yum install dialup-server" :)

I don't mention Portmasters or Pipelines on my resume, but I do have Livingston and Ascend in the list of [many obsolete] router brands I have experience with. Is that really totally irrelevant now?

 Jon Lewis, MCP :)           |  I route
 Atlantic Net                |