nanog mailing list archives

Re: Polling Bandwidth as an Aggregate

From: Brandon Ewing <nicotine () warningg com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 17:11:37 -0600

On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 08:15:45AM -0500, Drew Weaver wrote:
RTG uses MySQL for it's backend, so you can basically setup queries however you like and you can use RTGPOLL to graph
multiple interfaces as well.

It's a super good tool and I think there is a group working on RTG2 at googlecode (I think).

-Drew

I agree with Drew -- I have several functions that do their best to
correlate readings amount multiple interfaces, combine them with other
readings near the same time intervals, and output a single set of aggregate
bandwidth data.

One of RTG's big problems is scalability -- as you monitor more and more
devices, going further and further back in time, you're ending up with a
gigantic MySQL dataset that can be difficult to manage.  Fortunately, there
are open-source tools to help manage this.  There's a Ruby program that
automates consolidation of multiple rows into single rows based on
configuration data -- allowing you to keep 5-minute readings of interface
data for 2 months, then condensing it to 1 hour readings after that, with
the flexibility to identify specific tables and specific timeframes to give
you maximum control.

--
Brandon Ewing                                        (nicotine () warningg com)