nanog mailing list archives

Re: using ULA for 'hidden' v6 devices?

From: "Justin M. Streiner" <streiner () cluebyfour org>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 13:03:52 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 25 Jan 2012, Dale W. Carder wrote:

We have one customer in particular with a substantial non-publicly
reachable v6 deployment with globally assigned addresses.  I believe
there is no need to replicate the headaches of rfc1918 in the next
address-family eternity.

The one big issue I could see with doing that is that the vulnerability exposure, particularly from the outside world, is larger if devices that don't need public addresses have them. For example, if a network engineer or NOC person accidentally removes a "hide my public infrastructure from the outside world" from an interface on a border router...

As others have mentioned, things like management interfaces on access switches, printers, and IP phones would be good candidates to hide with ULA.

jms