nanog mailing list archives

RE: Common operational misconceptions

From: George Bonser <gbonser () seven com>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 17:51:27 +0000

Long before there was a Grainger (and Home Depot) in every city, and
you could get parts shipped overnight, one had to "make do", and
"making do" meant being able to figure things out to be able to "git r
done"
with what you had on hand, or could figure out.

When working on my Grandfather's farm, I did not look for work to do
(actually, I looked for ways not to do any work :-), but if the project
required pulling out the oxy-acetylene torch to cut and weld something
onto the tractor to get something done, that is what you had to do, so
you did it.

Yep, when looking for troubleshooters, look for people that grew up/worked on a farm.

I absolutely agree.  They approach things from a completely different mindset.