nanog mailing list archives

Re: dns and software, was Re: Reliable Cloud host ?

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 01:32:17 -0800

On Feb 27, 2012, at 9:45 PM, Mark Andrews wrote:

      getaddrinfo was designed to be extensible as was struct
      addrinfo.  Part of the problem with TTL is not data sources
      used by getaddrinfo have TTL information.  Additionally for
      many uses you want to reconnect to the same server rather
      than the same name.  Note there is nothing to prevent a
      getaddrinfo implementation maintaining its own cache though
      if I was implementing such a cache I would have a flag to
      to force a refresh.

Sorry if I wasn't clear... My point to Bill was that we should be using calls that don't have TTL information
(GAI/GNI in their default forms). That we don't need to abuse connect() to achieve that. That if people use GAI/GNI(),
then, any brokenness is system-wide brokenness in the system's resolver library and should be addressed there.

Owen