nanog mailing list archives

Re: Programmers with network engineering skills

From: david raistrick <drais () icantclick org>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 15:31:55 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 27 Feb 2012, Owen DeLong wrote:

I think you're more likely to find a network engineer with (possibly limited)
programming skills.

While I'll agree about the more likely, if I needed a coder who had a firm grasp of networking I'd rather teach a good coder networking, than try to teach the art and magic of good development to a network guy.

I think it really comes down to which you need: a hardcore network engineer/architect who can hack up code, or a hardcore developer who has or can obtain enough of a grasp of networking fundementals and specifics to build you the software you need him to develop.

The ones who already know both ends extremely well are going to be -very- hard to find, but finding one who can learn enough of the other to accomplish what you need shouldn't be hard at all.

oh wait, that's an echo I hear isn't it.

...d (who is not exactly the former though I've played one for TV, and not at all the later)

--
david raistrick        http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html
drais () icantclick org             http://www.expita.com/nomime.html