nanog mailing list archives

Re: BGPttH. Neustar can do it, why can't we?

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike () swm pp se>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2012 17:19:56 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 6 Aug 2012, Leo Bicknell wrote:

However, it causes me to ask a differnet question, how will this work in IPv6? Does anyone make a dual-uplink IPv6 aware device? Ideally it would use DHCP-PD to get prefixes from two upstream providers and would make both available on the local LAN. Conceptually it would then be easy to policy route traffic to the correct provider. But of course the problem comes down to the host, it now needs to know how to switch between source addresses in some meaningful way, and the router needs to be able to signal it.

There are working groups in the IETF looking into how to make this work, "homenet", "v6ops" and a few others. After a while one runs into protocol extensions or behavioural changes and things become non-trivial.

As messy as IPv4 NAT is, it seems like a case where IPv6 NAT might be a relatively clean solution. Are there other deployable, or nearly deployable solutions?

Yes, there are a lot of possible options. Feel free to participate in the process. There is nothing that is deployable right now though.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike () swm pp se