nanog mailing list archives

Re: NAT444 or ?

From: Jean-Francois.TremblayING () videotron com
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 13:06:11 -0400

On Wed, Sep 07, 2011 at 12:16:28PM +0200, Randy Bush wrote:
I'm going to have to deploy NAT444 with dual-stack real soon now.
you may want to review the presentations from last week's apnic meeting
in busan.  real mesurements.  sufficiently scary that people who were
heavily pushing nat444 for the last two years suddenly started to say
"it was not me who pushed nat444, it was him!"  as if none of us had a
memory.

Hm, I fail to find relevant slides discussing that. Could you please
point us to those?

I had the same question. I found Miyakawa-san's presentation has some
dramatic examples of CGN NAT444 effects using Google Maps:
http://meetings.apnic.net/__data/assets/file/0011/38297/Miyakawa-APNIC-KEYNOTE-IPv6-2011-8.pptx.pdf

However these are with a very high address-sharing ratio (several
thousands users per address). Using a sparser density (<= 64 users per
address) is likely to show much less dramatic user impacts.

/JF